Guide to Heating Costs and Fuel Types
“By installing a Blade HE Gas Fire in my home I reduced my overall gas bills by 46% saving £170 between Jan 2013 & April 2013” Read how installing a modern, CVO, high efficiency gas fire can help reduce your overall heating bills.
Per Kw of Heat:
- Gas is 77% Cheaper than using Electric
- Gas is 90% Cheaper than burning Wood
- Gas is 96% Cheaper than burning Bio-Ethanol
If saving energy and reducing your utility bills is important then the choice of fireplace type and the type of energy source it will use is critical. Regardless of all the hype about gas prices increasing, gas is still the cheapest way to heat your home per Kw of Heat provided.
Here is a quick comparison based on 1KW of heat burned by the appliance:
- Gas = 3p per kw
- Electricity = 13p per kw
- Wood = 30p per Kw
- Bio-Ethanol = 74p per kw
The next issue to consider is the efficiency of the appliance. The appliance will cost the same to run regardless of what the efficiency is. All the efficiency does is decide how much of this burnt energy heats your home. The only way to maximise the energy you buying is to buy either a 100% efficient appliance like a flueless gas fire, an electric fire or a bio-ethanol fire.
Here is a quick comparison of 100% efficient appliances based on the same heat output[2kw]
- Flueless Gas Fire = 6p per hour.
- 2kw Electric Fire = 26p per hour.
- 2kw Bio-Ethanol Fire = 148p per hour.
All other types of heating [gas, wood or oil] waste heat by losing heat up the chimney or flue. So if you want to make sure you get the best deal for your home and your wallet before buying a fireplace you should ask:
- What is the heat input rating of the appliance.
- What is the efficiency of the appliance.
- What is the cost “per Kw” of the fuel I will be burning in that appliance.
You must compare like for like based on the KW “input” rating of the various appliances. Then you can do a simple calculation to compare your costs of running the different appliances and how much you are really spending.
- RUNNING COST = HEAT INPUT OF APPLIANCE x COST PER KW
- COST OF HEAT IN THE ROOM = HEAT INPUT OF APPLIANCE x COST PER KW x EFFICIENCY RATING.
- WASTED MONEY = RUNNING COST – COST OF HEAT IN THE ROOM
Remember that Gas is the cheapest way of heating – its a fact when compared “like of like”
All our contemporary gas fires are designed to operate on Natural Gas or LPG and carry full CE approval. Call 01325-301020 for help, advice and more information. Or e-mail your enquiry here
- Flueless (No Chimney) Gas Fires
- High Efficiency Gas Fires
- Gas Fire Bowl Collection
- Fire Ribbon Fireplace Suites
- Hole in the Wall Fireplaces
- Double Sided Fire Ribbon
- Double Sided Fire Bowl
- Open Table & Canopy Designs
- Traditional Fireplace Suites
- Gas Fire Burners
- Gas Fires <7Kw (no Vent)
- Eco-Friendly Bioethanol Fires
- Power Flue Gas Fires
- Balanced Flue Gas Fires
- Bespoke Fireplace Designs
- Gas Patio Heaters
CVO Fire Designs are protected under Copyright Law.
Use of our Designs, Web Site Images and Trademarks is strictly prohibited.